The Types of Information We Collect
Information You Give Us
To enable you to enjoy certain features of our Services, we collect certain types of information, including personally identifiable information. For example, we may collect information when you:
- Sign up to receive email newsletters. When we send newsletters to subscribers we may allow Advertisers or Partners to include messages in those newsletters, or we may send dedicated newsletters on behalf of those Advertisers or Partners, but those Advertisers or Partners will never have access to your personal information, including your email address. All newsletters will come directly from Us. To unsubscribe from newsletters, click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email newsletter.
- Register. When you register to use forums or other Services, we ask you to provide certain information, which may include your email address, home address, birth year, gender, health conditions, credit card number and zip code, as well as a password for your account. Advertisers or Partners will never have access to your personal information unless you agree in advance to provide such access.
- Engage in public activities on the Services. We offer you opportunities to engage in public activities on the Services that are designed to be visible to other users, including comments, recommendations, reader reviews, ratings or any other items that you submit. Any information you disclose in your public activities, along with your screen name or ID, or any image or photo, becomes public and may be used by us for online and offline promotional or commercial uses in any and all media. If you choose to engage in public activities, you should be aware that any personally identifiable information you submit there can be read, collected, or used by other users of these areas, and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums and we have no responsibility to publish, take down, remove or edit any of your public activities or any of your submissions that are a result of your public activities.
- Provide Us Your Credit Card and Billing Information. To enable payment for certain Services, we collect and store billing and credit card information. This information will only be shared with the third parties who we have hired to perform these tasks.
- Contests, Sweepstakes and Special Offers. We may sponsor contests, sweepstakes, or have special offers on the Service or on third party sites. If you elect to participate, we may require personal information from you, including, in most cases, your first and last name and e-mail address. If this information is also being collected by a third party, we will notify you at the time of collection. If you do not want any personal information shared, you may always decline to participate in the sweepstakes, contest or special offers.
Information We Collect Using Technology
- Device Information. We may collect information about the computer, mobile telephone, smartphone or other device you use to access the Services to measure the effectiveness of those Services.
- Analytics. We may use third parties to provide us information, reports and analysis about the usage and browsing patterns of users of the Services. These reports contain aggregated data only, and do not identify individual users. Please read here for more information about these third parties and the information they may be collecting.
- IP Addresses. We log Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, or the location of your computer on the Internet, for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes. We use this information in an aggregate fashion to track access to our Web sites and mobile applications.
- Log Files. We may also automatically log certain usage information about your use of the Services. This information includes a reading history of the pages you view.
How We Use the Information We Collect
Providing the Services You Request
We use the information we gather about you to enable your use of the Services, fulfill your requests for certain products and services, such as sending out electronic newsletters and enabling you to participate in and renew paid services, polls, contests, and message boards. We reserve the right to disclose your opt-out information to third parties so they can suppress your name from future solicitations, in accordance with applicable laws. We may occasionally release personal information as required by law, for example, to comply with a court order or subpoena.
We use the information, including analytics and statistical information, to analyze the use of the Services so that we may improve them. We also use this information to generally inform advertisers about the nature of our user base.
Customizing Your Experience
We use the information that we collect to allow advertising to be targeted to the users for whom such advertising is most pertinent. We may also use this information to customize certain features of the Services to provide you with an enhanced experienced based on the type of device you are using to access the Services, and to provide you with requested services.
We contract with other companies to provide services on our behalf, including credit-card and billing processing, shipping, e-mail distribution, list processing and promotions management. We provide these companies only with the information they need to perform their services. These service providers are restricted from using this data in any way other than to provide services for us, and they may not share, resell or use the data for their own marketing purposes.
We share information we collect with business partners that provide customer service, marketing, sales, logistics, shipping, tracking and payment service to transact your order, service requests and services. We also track your user experience to better understand our users (their demographics, what they do on our websites, what site features they like, how they use them, etc.) and to improve the content and answers delivered on our Services.
Information Collected by Third-Parties and Your Ad Choices
Third parties may collect information about you via the Services. In certain cases, we do not have access to, nor control over, these third parties’ data collection practices and we do not assume any liability related to their collection or use.
In many cases, the information collected by these third parties is used to show you ads on other Web sites based on your demonstrated interests, or in some cases, your location. Please refer to the third party privacy policies for further details.
Other Privacy Considerations
In the future, we may sell, buy, merge or partner with other companies or businesses. In such transactions, we may include your information among the transferred assets.
Your California Privacy Rights Under the California
“Shine The Light” law, California residents may opt-out of our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not currently engage in this practice. However, if we ever revise our current policy and begin to share such, you may choose to opt-out of the sharing of your personal information with third parties for marketing purposes at any time by submitting a request in writing to us here or by e-mailing us at using the contact us page link at the top of the website. This opt-out does not prohibit disclosures made for non-marketing purposes.
Compliance With Legal Process
We may disclose personal information if we are required to do so by law or we have a good faith belief that such action is necessary to (1) comply with the law or with legal process; (2) protect and defend our rights and property; (3) protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Services; or (4) protect the personal safety or property of our users or the public (among other things, this means that if you provide false information or attempt to pose as someone else, information about you may be disclosed as part of any investigation into your actions).